Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The changeless God changes us

Changes...when you hear that word, does a red flag pop up? If we'll admit it, most of us are pretty resistant to change, especially those that require major lifestyle adjustments. God, however is unchanging:
For I am the Lord, I change not...
(Malachi 3:6 KJV)
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.
(Hebrews 13:8 NKJV)
This truth can be disconcerting - because our Lord has established requirements for right living in his word, and they stand the test of time. What were moral rules (according to Scripture) in our great-grandparents' time are still applicable today. This truth can also be comforting - the examples of God's patience, mercy, comfort, and most of all, his love - are also applicable and can be relied on today.
But we, however, are in need of changing. And as we yield to the Lordship of Christ, he will work those changes in us:
...he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion
until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6)
Sometimes, this "work" involves our throwing off the old, familiar ways, and perhaps favorite projects in which we've invested a good bit of time. I'm recalcitrant when it comes to that. Often, I'll plug along, trying to make something "work" instead of allowing the "work" of God to rearrange my priorities. Perhaps you are the same.
Hebrews 13:1 instructs us to "lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us...." You'll notice there are two things to lay aside: "weight" and "sin". It's obvious we should put sin aside, but what is the "weight" part? I believe it could refer to things, projects, situations or other time-consumers - even good ones that have encumbered us - that are keeping us from reaching our full potential.
One of God's gifts I especially treasure is my ability to write. This giftedness is obvious to me, and has been affirmed often by others. For over three months, I have been writing for an online news service, but I've recently come to the conclusion that this is one of "weights" God is calling me to put aside. It's a hard one to turn my back on. However, I'm looking forward to resuming my blog posts and other writing assignments, and am anticipating the changeless God continuing the much-need changing he desires for all areas of my life.
It is my prayer that he will continue to lead me in paths that honor him. Perhaps these ramblings have caused you to consider "weights" and "sins" in your life that need to be relinquished. May you have the courage to make the necessary changes, in order to "be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may provie what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God" (Romans 12:2)
My friend, it is so worth it!

(If you've found my blog helpful, I'd appreciate your sharing it with others! Thanks, Ann)

Scriptures taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by Biblica, Inc. ™ Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved worldwide. www.zondervan.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment