Monday, May 25, 2009

Perspective


This picture is one of my favorites. While looking skyward through the barren branches, I envisioned a neat perspective for a photo. Grabbing my camera, I lay down on the ground with the top of my head against the tree base. Several images were snapped as I wriggled around the tree, trying to get the perfect shot.
A proper perspective can have a profound effect on our actions. Can you recall a time when you acted a certain way, based on what you preceived as truth about a situation or a person? Isaiah certainly did. Look with me at Isaiah 6:1-8; a few short verses that contained some intense action and life transformation.
Isaiah had been prophesying the coming of God's judgment for both Israel and Judah. In chapter 5, the prophet had issued some scathing woes on the people. But chapter 6 finds him in the temple...and about to receive an attitude adjustment:
"I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted,
and the train of his robe filled the temple" (vs.1)
As he experienced other sights and sounds in the awesome presence of almighty God, Isaiah gained a new perspective. As he had formerly been pronouncing woes, he now saw his own wretchedness before Lord:
"'Woe to me!' I cried. 'I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips
and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes
have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.'" (vs. 5)
Consider with me the four "C"s of the prophet's life-changing encounter:
1. Conviction and confession (vs. 5) - this is required of each us as we realize our sinfulness, and call out to the Lord for mercy.
2. Cleansing (vs. 6-7) - Isaiah received forgiveness in a way that would be etched indelibly on his mind.
3. Commission (vs. 8) - After purifying His messenger, God issued a call.
4. Commitment (vs. 8) - Isaiah's prepared heart caused him to quickly respond, "Here am I, send me."
So what about us? When we come to the Lord Jesus in repentance and faith, He accepts us, changes us, and gives us a new perspective:
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;
the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Cor. 5:17)
Whether a brand-new believer or a seasoned saint, may our lives model Isaiah's: quickly and continually making ourselves available to our Master, to carry out the incredible plans He has uniquely fashioned for us!
Best wishes from lefthandrightbrain:)

No comments:

Post a Comment